- Quality Of Education
- List Of Universities, Colleges, And Courses
- Other Notable Institutions
- Courses To Choose From
- How To Choose A Place Of Study
- Scholarships And Grants
- The Following Criteria Must Be Satisfied By The Person Applying For A Student Visa
- Life While Studying
Tourism is among the fastest growing activities in the international sectors and has proven to have a lot of scope in the upcoming years, for there is a wide growing interest in traveling and exploring places. So travel and tourism management are bound to give ample opportunities in the near future for students who are willing to take up management courses in tourism, travel, and hospitality, especially in India. This article gives a view on the scope for travel and tourism management in the country with insights of some of the courses, colleges, scholarships and grants that are available.
India has some of the best centers that provide education with a liberal dose of experience and exposure. There are programs that are aimed at equipping the students with the right kind of skills and specter. These courses offer travel and tourism-related managerial principles and business scenarios that aid students in their future ventures. The system of education has been developed to keep up the pace with rest of the world, in the wake of globalization and fast-growing economies, where growth is achieved through the propulsion of domestic and international tourism.
Though the courses tend to differ in structure from each institute, the level and quality of education that the students experience is aimed at developing the candidate’s skill set and grooming him to be an expert in the field of tourism.
The courses are focused on insinuating the various aspects of tourism and travel through their different approaches towards the domain. Developing interpersonal, interactive and informative knowledge are some of the important aspects that the colleges and institutes throw light upon through in-house training sessions and corporate internships.
Students experience, and learn the prospects of global and domestic tourism, and accordingly develop communication, problem-solving and change shifting skills to tackle the industry. In a nutshell, the academic practices are at par with the needs of the changing trends and the international sectors’ line-up for emerging careers.
Some of the best universities and colleges that offer tourism, travel, and hospitality management courses are listed below. They offer lectures, training sessions on campus and through various corporate tie-ups, which improve teamwork skills and give good exposure to real-life challenges while on the job, helping the students get accustomed to the ever-changing climate.
IITTM is among the most prestigious, recognized universities and is an autonomous institution registered by the Ministry of Tourism in India. It is based in Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh along with campuses in Goa, Nellore, Bhubaneshwar, and Noida. It offers courses in the sustainable management of travel and tourism. An institute that has a name that speaks for itself, with world-class facilities and exposure to knowledge.
- Address: 3rd-4th Floor, IHM Campus, Pusa Institute, New Delhi, Delhi 110012, India
Under the Amity University and UNWTO TedQual recognized, it is among the most preferred institutions in India. It is situated in Noida. A great institute for you to get educated by the best professors and subject matter experts in the country.
- Address: B- Block, 2nd Floor, Amity University Road, Sector 125, Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh 201313, India
Known for its infrastructure and accreditation from several boards of education, LPU is among the top-ranked colleges in India providing courses in Hospitality and Travel. The name of this university is highly honored and there are countless students who come here from different parts of the country every year to enroll in a degree in these courses. Such is the reputation of the college. It also is known for its fee, which, when compared to some other institutes in the country, is fairly reasonable.
- Address: Jalandhar – Delhi G.T. Road, Phagwara, Punjab 144411, India
Among the best universities ranked 14th by the UGC (University Grants Commission) for their on-the-field training experiences for students. It is a Central University with leading credentials and courses designed to enhance professionalism in students. The reason this university is ranked so prestigiously is that of their curriculum, approach to education and an environment that promotes learning and the development of a great attitude. This is a reason why every alumni speaks highly of this institute.
- Address: Kalapet, Puducherry, 605014, India
Christ University is a private university and is a deemed center in Bangalore. They are known for their excellent academic courses and producing market-ready professionals who have expertise in tourism management. One of the best private universities in Bangalore if you are looking for enrolment under the care of professors who are highly educated, a learning environment that focuses on great insights and opportunities for career growth.
- Address: Hosur Main Road, Bhavani Nagar, Suddagunte Palya, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560029, India
B.H.U is among the leading universities with some of the best courses for travel and tourism management. The university has a great reputation not just in North India, but in other parts of the country as well. This is a name you can trust for quality education.
- Address: Ajagara, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh 221005, India
TCCT provides the best courses for students to excel in the business field of tourism and travel management market. The environment is one of learning as well as generating a curiosity for knowledge. Everyone who has graduated from this center of training has only good things to say about the staff and facilities here, which can be rare when it comes to educational institutions.
- Address: 314, Dr. Dadabhai Naroji Marg, Azad Maidan, Fort, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400001, India
- Jammu Central University
- Gem B School (Mysore, Pondicherry, Thrissur, Chitradurga and Srinagar (J & K))
- Kerala Institute of Tourism and travel studies
- Bangalore Management Academy (BMA) (Marathahalli, Karnataka)
- International Institute of Business Management (IIBM) (New Delhi)
- Institute for International Management & Technology (Gurgaon, Haryana)
- Kurukshetra University (Haryana)
- The Global Open University for Management (Nagaland)
- CMJ University (Meghalaya)
- Nalanda School of Management College (Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh)
- YSR. National Institute of Tourism and Hospitality Management (Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh)
- CV Raman University (Chhattisgarh)
- IAM – Institute of Hotel Management (Kolkata/ Goa/ Guwahati)
- Veer Narmath South Gujarat University (Surat, Gujarat)
- TRAVIND Institute of Travel and Tourism
- Bachelor in Tourism Studies
- Bachelor in Tourism & Travel Management
- BA in Hospitality and Tourism Management
- BBA in Travel and Tourism Management
- BSc in Hospitality and Tourism Management
- BVoc in Hospitality and Tourism
- Masters in Tourism and Travel Management
- MBA in Tourism and Travel
- Masters in Hospitality and Tourism Management
- MA in Tourism and Travel Management
- MSc in Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Masters in Tourism Administration
- PG Diploma in Tourism and Travel Management
- PG Diploma in Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Diploma in Tourist Guide
- Certificate in Tourist Guide
Courses that can be completed in lesser durations are also aplenty in certain institutions while focusing more on field work. Such courses are:
|Capsule course in Travel & Tourism
Fast track Training in Travel & Tourism
International Tour Manager
Entrepreneurship in Travel and Tourism
IATA Foundation Course
IATA GDS Fares & Ticketing (Amadeus)
Sandwich diploma in travel and tourism
While many of the universities are focused on the theoretical approach towards studies, tourism management studies are more focused on realizing education in a more practical manner that increases the stride for experience and better learning. As there are so many universities and colleges that seem to give that potential, as students, it is more important to linger upon the facts that are of primary concern like the students’ scores, funds and the type of career they might want to pursue. Some colleges conduct preliminary test procedures in India, while others do not.
Notarized certificates of secondary education or of recently completed degrees can be submitted at the relevant university for admissions. English language certification might be necessary, as English is a primary language of teaching in India and it is a necessity when it comes to interacting with the global audience. Another aspect one must pay attention to is the financial aspect.
It’s better to contact the information desk at the University of your Interest to get a clear picture of the funds required in order to enroll in among their tourism courses. It is also advisable to also check the availability of scholarships and grants.
The next most important factor is the right type, of course, that would suit them the best. Settling down just with any course in Tourism Management may not be a wise choice as there are different avenues of the industry that one can venture into.
Most universities provide scholarships and grants for foreign students and have student exchange programs which they avail to receive education by getting approval for a scholarship.
Approach the Indian Council for Cultural Relations after applying for a scholarship in the respective college where the one will be studying. The information regarding the scholarships and grants can also be acquired at the Indian Embassy and at the University itself.
There are also universities that allocate grants for tuition fee, maintenance and accommodation etc. Internships and several other programs can be pursued during the stay by availing scholarships, which are part of the Universities’ curriculum. Students can also be funded via the ITEC (Indian Technical and Economic Cooperation Program), where students are aided with sufficient funds for education in India in several sectors including tourism management, which also provides an opportunity for students from other countries.
Acquiring a student visa is another important factor, as it is a must-have for students from foreign countries staying for educational purposes. The visa gets issued to the University or institution under the approval and condition of official admission with a validity of about 5 years.
- An application form stating particulars and personal details
- Original passport and its copy
- Civil passport- original and its copy
- Passport size photos with ID proof of the student
- Confirmation letter from the University regarding enrolment
- Payment proof (at least 1,000 dollars) for the first two semesters
- Confirmation regarding the staying status of the student (time period)
- Confirmation from the university regarding accommodation and education status.
India is a vibrant country with friendly and welcoming people, several cultures and religions converging with one another and students get to experience the diversity and color all at once. India is also a traveler’s favorite with many places to explore and travel, a hub for tourism and cultural exploration. Students can either stay at the dormitories or hostels at the University they have enrolled in or rent out an apartment outside the college campus.
Among the major advantages is the low cost compared to several other countries. Renting out an apartment would cost about 100 or 150 dollars in India and the additional charges become insignificant once the students receive a scholarship or grant from the University. Tuition also falls within 1000 dollars, making education an affordable option for international students.
Depending on the course, students will get to spend more time exploring various opportunities for careers while getting to interact with people from different countries, cultures, and traditions. Additionally, students can get to travel around the country and get a closer look at several aspects of tourism and travel at extremely affordable and lower prices.